Felling Trees up to 380 diameter
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for people who work in; Arboriculture, Forestry, Agriculture, Horticulture,
Woodland, Local Authorities, Conservation, Construction, Land-based.
Note: Due to the nature of the training a minimum level of fitness is required for specific
operations. Whilst we would not want to disadvantage any learner, it is an essential requirement
of the course.
You will need to have attended the basic courses in this series, or their equivalent, and/or have CS30/31. This can also be taken as a 1 day refresher but evidence of experience is required.
- identify the risk assessment and emergency procedures on a work site
- organise site safety and state the procedures required
- assess the trees to be felled for hazards and risks
- fell trees, which have a diameter greater than the effective cutting length of the guide bar but not twice the guidebar length. Guidebar length not greater than 380mm/15”
- assess a leaning tree and the safest method of felling
- make accurate felling cuts in the correct position
- delimb felled trees in a safe and methodical manner
- crosscut timber accurately to required lengths
- assess and explain the terms ‘tension’ and ‘compression’ in timber
- adopt safe procedures to remove a trapped guidebar
- handle and stack timber in a safe manner
- assess a hung up tree and the safest method of take down
- select and prepare equipment required for safe and effective takedown
- check on the safety of takedown tools, including hand winch
- make accurate severing cuts in the correct positions
- select and use hand tools safely
- take down hung-up tress using a hand winch to a safe and stable position
- state all unsafe practices which must not be adopted.
A non-assessed training course to prepare for CS32.
Duration: 3 days practical training or a 1 day refresher for experienced operators who already hold an NPTC qualification or who can verify they have had minimum of 2 years experience.
Maximum of 4 trainees per course. Each candidate must have a chainsaw and PPE.
Certification gained: Lantra Certificate of Attendance. Successful completion of this course will prepare trainees for assessment for NPTC “Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw & Related Ops – Fell & Process Medium Trees – CS 32
Click here to view our current fees.